Monday, October 13, 2008

The Maiden of Kuala Lumpur


I wrote the following a dream I had that referenced in a very tangible way a picture I took in 2006 in Malaysia.

The wandering soldiers, the elusive plight,
A beckoning cry rings out at night
A night that's soft, a calm before the storm
Faint vibrations fill the drones
In the pipers hands

On the mountain a maiden stands
Like a statue, pinned against a starless sky
Her heartless eyes watch as her heroes die
They come and weep only at her feet
Her lasting, supple youth mocks them

At her hands and under her eyes
I, too have sunk beneath the shores of time
Her listless beauty drew me onward
Across the raw earth refined
I coveted all that would be mine

Starving for the freedom she brings
Longing to begin the journey
That would shape the boy
Into her traveling warrior
Mercenary of her heart

So many times I've limboed in dreams
Leaving my footprints in the sands and snows
Stumbles of stocking feet over the trampled stocks
Torn down by those who look but are not
Like me

"What promise, what guarantee, 
Have you to offer me?" many time I plead.
"None Warrior Poet, none for thee
Your mark will remain on the land
And all will know you sought for me."

"Dark madam, Hear me now!
I wish I could turn away from thee
A hero to remain, with nothing to save,
Suspend my hope for better days
And in a dream I'll live happily."

Though as a dream she never leaves
But fills my veins with vanity
A carnal lust for beauty seen
And me myself be beautiful
To be seen of her and to be loved

And in my slumber a picture hung
It tortured the subconscious mind
I stood and stood and saw it there
My dreamer's clock measured no time
My still tongue uttered violent cadences

By my hand and to the floor was it flung
And ever so gently was it placed
Its mystery mystified and struck fear deep
Into my bones did it permeate
All awhile the maiden did I hate

Temple stairs in a far off land
Why was it you that raised me from my bed?
Is it you that I must climb
And never reach your vantage point
That would reveal the cityscape?

Tonight I'll lie, like nights before
I'll try to shrug and shun you
Yet still her eyes that draw me near
Will take and take and take
My dear, my love, be satisfied, I'll never cease to give

No comments: